Sunday, November 23, 2014

Blog post #14

I really liked reading the article Teaching Can Be a Profession by Joel Klein. It's very interesting reading ideas and thoughts from someone that operated the New York City's public school system for 8 years. I always feel like big ideas or events begin up north and slowly move their way down south over time. It seems that the north part of our country is quicker to change their ways and go with a plan than the south part of our country so it was interesting for me in that aspect of things. I really like his idea of professionalizing teaching. I agree that it should be more well respected as well. It is one of the most important professions in our country.

The seniority distraction part was an eye-opener for me. Joel states "job security and seniority dictate the way our schools operate." This is very true but not always a great thing. People that are more used to teaching will have many great ideas and suggestions I'm sure, but they also may be a little more set in their ways and not as open to new ideas for the classroom that might actually be a greater benefit to our country's education system. His views were very intriguing to me and I'd actually enjoy reading a little further into the topic.

1 comment:

  1. Amber,
    I agree with you on seniority distraction. It is a shame that time is a factor when it comes to student's education. We should be focused on what is best for the students rather than who has been teaching the longest. Good post.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete