Sunday, August 31, 2014

Blog Post 2

1. In the "Mr. Dancealot" video, I believe that the central idea to the viewer is that the way we teach classes do not allow students to engage in what they are learning about. The purpose of learning is to gain knowledge and familiarity, not to memorize materials until finals week approaches. When the boy got up in the video to try and do the same moves the dance teacher was doing, the teacher snapped at him and told him to sit down in a way that made the boy feel what he was doing was wrong. It was actually better for the boy to be up trying to learn in action than write the dance moves down on a notebook. The video goes on to show the students falling asleep in class from a lack of engagement in the classroom. 1) I believe the central message of this video is to incorporate more active ways of learning into the classroom instead of just a notes and memorization method. It is a more effective way to learn. 2)The author makes the case in this video by demonstrating that in the end the students were all holding their notebooks trying to figure out the dance moves that they had never practiced which proves that they learned nothing. 3)Yes, I do agree. The conclusion makes perfect sense to me because I too have been in the position that these students were in, left feeling lost and ignorant to a certain subject at the end of a semester. 2.In the video "Teaching in the 21st century," the central idea is to inform teachers of todays generation that teaching ways have changed drastically due to new technology, and in order to keep students attention we must incorporate this new technology into new ways for them to learn. He gives various explanations of how students are using technology in and out of the classroom and gives many examples of the types of technology and sites they are using. 1) Robert thinks teaching in the 21st century needs to be meaningful and powerful. He thinks that we need to incorporate means of technology into tools for teaching. NOT entertaining, but engaging. 2)His argument includes: Ways to engage the kids in technology Teaching them HOW to use technology the right way Teaching them ways to NOT use technology (Plagiarism, copyrighting, etc.) Ways to engage the students instead of entertaining 3)I completely agree with Robert because as the world changes, the education and ways we teach needs to change as well. 4)It will affect me as an educator because I myself will have to become more familiar with certain types of technology in order to teach it correctly. I will need to become more familiar with ways to teach this technology to different age groups accordingly. 3.In "The Networked Student," The central idea of this video is to inform the viewers of the importance of connectivism in the classroom, or in this case out of the classroom, but in an educational setting. The various explanations in this video include demonstrating just how connectivism works for a student. It proves how great it can be for a student researching or wanting to learn more about a topic. 1)The networked student needs a teacher to show them how to go about being a networked student. The teacher shows them how to find resources and sites, how to connect with other students and people researching and learning about the same topic, how to repost and blog about the information they have come across, and how to create their own virtual textbook for them to progress with and reflect upon. The teacher gets the networked student excited about engaging with others all over the world about the same topic of interest. The teacher teaches the student to always be a "networked student" with everything in life because it is an excellent resource for learning and obtaining more knowledge on any given subject. It teaches the student how to be actively engaged in the internet and how to find many sources of reliable information other than just googling. 4.In the movie "Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts," I believe the central idea is to show that engaging in higher technology is becoming a very big part of all schools in our country. Our education system is gradually changing to better accommodate internet resources. Examples given in this video include the classroom visited in Georgia that showed students engaged in technology learning on their own as well as with their classmates. 1)I think the thesis of Davis's video is to prove that technology is an up and coming factor in the world of education today. 2)I believe that her argument is fair. Although I do disagree with some aspects of her argument. At one point in the video Davis sates that teaching in an environment with only pencils and paper is not going to be suitable to all students, however that argument can be said when teaching students in an environment with all computers and no pencils or paper also. 5. In John Strange's video "Who's Ahead in the Learning Race?" I believe that the elementary school students are definitely ahead in the learning race. I myself am apart of the undergraduate class, and as of now I feel pretty cheated in my education. I left high school right after they started incorporating technology into the classrooms and providing all students with personal computers, so I don't feel that it is my fault I haven't been taught all of these things. I do feel that the transition needed to be made however, it has caused me some issues with having to learn this technology and the new ways of the classroom so abruptly. I do want to learn the new ways of the classroom and all of the technology that is being introduced to elementary kids. This will be very important for me to know when it comes time for me to teach the subjects using these materials. 6. In "Flipping the Classroom" the central idea of this video is to inform parents that their children will adopt a new way of learning to better benefit useful classroom time. 1) This is the first time I have heard of Flipping a classroom and I do have many questions and concerns about it. 2) One of my main concerns as a future teacher is what students without computers at home will do. In the video the teacher said that students without computers will watch their videos in the morning, but doesn't that leave some students ahead of other and some students then left behind. And doesn't that waste precious classroom time as well? I understand the theory behind the idea and I think that initially it is a good a idea, however there are some underlying issues to be looked at as well. 7.I believe that this method of learn has much potential to be very helpful in the classroom. Especially to certain students that will stay better focused when dealing with this type of strategic problem solving. Incorporating this into a classroom could be easier for some students to relate to and understand. I do think that collaborating this method of "coaching" with other subjects that we will be teaching will indeed be effective in the classroom. I think that much more research and structure needs to be brought to a plan of action before presenting it to teachers to teach, but I definitely agree with the concept and the fact that it can be better to relate to some students' ways of thinking.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your summaries of the assigned videos! I see you were having the same issues with putting breaks in between your numbered assignments. It's the html code < b r / > without the spaces in between. Hope that helps.

    Kelia Fagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please break this up into paragraphs. This is extremely hard and tiring to read.

    ReplyDelete